11.27.2004

Wynton Marsalis' New Book

Wynton Marsalis' new book, To a Young Jazz Musician: Letters from the Road, is weird. Since I am myself a young jazz musician, seeing the title for the first time made me think, "Wow! It's like it was written just for me." I expected it to reveal how to survive as a musician, what to listen to, and what to practice. As I began reading it, however, I realized that it is nothing like that. Instead, it resembles a motivational book more than a guide to becoming an artist. For the most part it offers boring lessons on how to become a man, and being yourself. Marsalis' book is full of clich├ęs, and in trying to make it apply to everyone, not just musicians, he's made it not really applicable to anyone. To a Young Jazz Musician is a disappointment.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger jazzofonik said...

Interesting cover photo. I know Wynton is a Movado endorser, but that watch he's wearing doesn't look like a Movado (watches are my other passion) Hmmmn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home